Classroom Updates for Week of October 26th

Hello Everyone! Hope you had a fabulous weekend! My husband and I attended a friend's wedding in Breckenridge and it was just beautiful. It was the first time I had been up to the mountains since by mastectomy and I forgot how much I enjoyed the fresh air and scenery:)

The kiddos and I have been talking a lot about platooning and how some things will change but a lot will stay the same. On this note, I wanted to share some information with you  that I recently shared with a parent that gave some clarity. A parent was wondering why November 9th to begin platooning? Why not after the holiday break? After the break was when we originally wanted to implement the platooning schedule, however, I have my reconstruction surgery on December 9th and will be out from December 7th-January 20th. There was NO way that I was not going to be there for the kiddos when they started platooning and if we waited for my return, it would be too late. The 1st grade team  truly believes that platooning is going to give the students SO much more academically, while still giving them the foundation of their homeroom environment by returning to their homeroom teacher (me) at the end of the day. Therefore, we decided to start as soon as we could so that my kiddos could start this transition with me and I could be there for Ms. Hernandez's students when they begin to come to my room for Math. I hope this clears up any wonderings you had about the "why November?" question. :) Again, Ms. Hernandez will be at your child's conference to meet you and get to know your kiddo and Ms. Marshall and I are putting together a "Math Night" to better help you understand what we are doing in Math and how you can help your child at home with Math. More than likely this will occur the week after Thanksgiving. I will let you know when the date is set with the office.

Here is all you need to know for the week:

Specials:

Monday: C Day (Drama)
Tuesday: D Day (Gym)
Wednesday: E Day (Music)
Thursday: A Day (Art)
Friday: B Day (Technology)

1. If you have not signed up for your child's Fall conference, please do so at the following link http://www.slyreply.com/app/sheets/md1jqmzmcrh6/

2. Halloween Party~! Will be this Friday. Before the party there will be a parade at 2:30  around the outside of the school. Kiddos will put their costumes on BEFORE the parade so please send them in a bag. The parade procession will go out the lunchroom doors and around the school on the sidewalk and back in the lunchroom doors.  After the parade the party will begin around 2:45 in the classroom. Parents are encouraged to attend and participate with their child. If you are able to volunteer, please check out the following link and sign up http://www.slyreply.com/app/sheets/qt5nbempbcjf/
We REALLY need volunteers for the stations, so sign up!! It will be a lot of fun!! Thank you:)

3. Socktober has been a HUGE success! We have 68 pairs of socks!! That's amazing! Thank you for your support! You still have 4 days to send some in:) I am going to get in touch with a shelter about dropping them off. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I thought it might have an impact if kiddos met me at the shelter with their parents, if they are able to, to drop the socks off. However, I'm not sure if this might be too much for the kiddos? I will let you know:)

4. Specials Open House: The Specials Team (Gym, Art, Drama, Technology and Music) are having an open house to give you some insight into what the kiddos do when they are in Specials. I sent the flyer in an email yesterday. Let me know if you didn't receive it. The open house is Monday November 9th from 4-7 p.m. Below are the times for our classroom...
1st Grade Bryan- Doherty Marshall Walker Hernandez
5:00pm Art #146 Music- 2nd floor West P.E.-Gym Technology #122
5:10pm Technology #122 Art #146 Music- 2nd floor West Drama- Back West Library
5:20pm Drama- Back West Library Technology #122 Art #146 P.E.-Gym
5:30pm P.E.-Gym Drama- Back West Library Technology #122 Music- 2nd floor West
5:40pm Music- 2nd floor West P.E.-Gym Drama- Back West Library Art #146

5. Please continue to send in the sight word lists as your kiddo is able to SAY all the words. For kiddos who can get through all 22 lists and recite the words, they will begin back at list 1 and work on WRITING the words:)

6. The Math training that I attended last week supplied teachers with some amazing games that can be played directly at each kiddo's independent level . Many of these games require kiddos to use manipulatives to represent numbers and break apart numbers. I will be discussing this more at conferences. In the mean time, could you see if you have any of the following  in your home that you wouldn't mind donating to the classroom?

Here is what we need:

lids of all sorts--small and large 
old metal keys
hotel keys
mardi gras beads
bread bag clips (the little yellow and green guys)
small and large puffy balls (pom poms)
clear liter soda bottles (we will cut the tops off and use them for storage)
nuts, screws, and bolts from your tool chest
old or mismatched shoe laces
tooth picks (the flat kind)
beads--any sparkly ones will be a hit
dry beans--Lima, pinto, black, kidney, or any other kind
 
Please put the items in a plastic bag and label "math materials". Your child will be so proud to help supply our classroom with materials for Math!


I think that is all! If anything else comes up, I will let you know! Have a great week!

Mrs. Bryan-Doherty:)

Here are some photos from last week in the classroom:) Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 


























 
 
 





0 comments:

Post a Comment